Motorized scooters from companies like Bird, Spin, and Lime are becoming increasingly popular and trendy and, while it is always tempting to partake in trendsetting forms of transportation, this one often leads to injuries, such as broken legs, wrists, elbows, and hips. The problem is that a lot of riders forget that a motorized scooter is still a moving vehicle and that it is crucial to be cautious when riding one. A simple fall could lead to some devastating injuries if you are not careful.
Does this mean you should put your scooter away or sell it? If you do not believe you can operate it safely, you should not use it at all. However, like most other motorized vehicles or bikes, all it takes is some common sense in order to make your ride on a motorized scooter safer.
Below is a list of some tips to make ensure you stay safe while riding a motorized scooter:
- Remember to always wear protective gear, such as a helmet, wrist guards, knee and elbow pads, and closed-toe shoes.
- Do not immediate accelerate. Instead, start off slowly when riding your motorized scooter. It takes some time to get used to the accelerator and brake tabs on the handles, so take some time to get a feel for it to ensure you can properly and safely operate it.
- Always be mindful of the traffic around you, especially when approaching an intersection. Motorized scooters are small and others on the road might notice you.
- Never ride with only one hand on the handle.
- Music is great, but while you are operating a motorized scooter, make sure to take your earbuds or headphones off in order to maintain awareness of your surroundings.
- Just as you would never drive a motor vehicle while drunk, you should never operate a motorized scooter while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Not only should you be mindful of your own safety, but you should be mindful of the safety of others around you, including pedestrians and other vehicles. Leave your scooter out of the way of foot traffic to prevent it from creating a tripping hazard.
A motorized scooter can be a lot of fun, but remember that it can also be dangerous and you must operate it responsibly to avoid harming yourself or others.
Personal Injury Attorney in Athens
If you were recently injured in a motorized scooter accident that was caused by another party’s negligence, you should not have to pay for their mistakes. Instead, hire skilled legal representation to fight on your behalf, so you can obtain the fair and just compensation you deserve. At Hall & Collins Injury Law, LLC, our team of personal injury attorneys in Athens are backed by over 50 years of experience and proven track record of success, so you can trust that your case will be in good hands with us.
Get started on your personal injury case today and reach out to our law firm at (706) 445-3785 to request a free initial case evaluation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys.